Friday, July 21, 2006

Teaching in Prague

Because the reason for our being in Prague is Mike's teaching in the AIPES program, we thought you ought to see some pictures of students and teaching.













We're still finding time to be tourists. To escape some of the heat (90 degrees+ cobblestones = way too hot) we went to the contemporary art museum, which is more air conditioned than many air conditioned places. The museum is so big that you can buy entry tickets only for the floor you want to see. The floor with the post-1950s Czech galleries was closed for renovation so we chose the floor with early 20th century Czech art (impressionists, cubists and the like), plus some Czech architecture and theater set design, Art Deco books and furniture, and a collection of French art.

Then we went to Letna Park for a beer and dinner in the park cafe. It appeared that many Prague residents thought an evening in the park was a good escape from the overheated cobblestones. We enjoyed a mozzarella and tomato salad (very popular dish here) and a pizza. Last year, Prague restaurants seemed all-pork-all-the-time; this year, restaurants seem to offer more vegetarian options beyond Greek salad.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:58 PM

    I'm glad to see some of the students cuddling during your class! Looking at the pictures makes my bones hurt because I want to go to Europe so badly. I hope the classes are going well and I'm glad to see that you are still being tourists!
    The heat here is out of control and HR does not have AC. I'm very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:48 PM

    I for one am reassured to see that students seem to have the same general look in Europe as they do here in the US.

    I am really having fun "traveling" with you guys, though it's killing me because all it makes me think about is BEER ... And U Pinkasu - wow!

    I am rather sorry to hear that it's just as hot there as it is here in Philadelphia. I guess you'll just have to keep drinking the beer. :-)

    ReplyDelete